LEATHERHEAD WAR MEMORIALS
What is the purpose of this project?That in this new Millennium Leatherhead should know more than just an inscription,
of the life and death of as many as possible of those it regards as its own,
who gave their lives in the World Wars of 1914-1918 and 1939-1945,
and other 20th Century conflicts/active service duties,
in the service of their country and for our present freedom.
We are doing this by research and making the information accessible.
- It is for others - relations, townspeople, those with responsibility for memorials - to help decide what action to take.
- For example, to put right in a practical way omissions and correct errors
The website is growing as more information becomes available or is added, such as Liam Sumption's work on the World War I casualties. WWI specialist Ian Whitlock is also helping the editor.
We hope this website will:
- be a new kind of memorial, accessible world-wide.
- be an educational resource and especially helpful to local schools making visits to WWI battlefields and cemeteries.
- stimulate visits to the town and the Parish Church and other Churches by the many families it touches and by others who have an interest.
The investigations link on the left gives the latest information on what has been found.
Useful links has other useful sites which provide further information.A Remembrance Sunday sermon which says a lot about the spirit of what this project is about - Remember