LEATHERHEAD WAR MEMORIALS
The WW1 Ladies' War Shrine in Leatherhead Parish Church
2021 after church reordering & cleaning of panels
Central panel of the original Leatherhead War Memorial (Ladies' War Shrine),
listing those who gave their lives in WWI
please note that some anomalies have been found about this listing - see Investigations
Dorking and Leatherhead Advertiser
Saturday 10 March 1917
THE WAR SHRINE
The Bishop of Winchester has consented to dedicate the war shrine which is to be erected on the wall of the clock tower in North-street. The shrine, which has been presented by some ladies of Leatherhead, is being supplied by Mr. C. B. Grantham, and the centre panel will contain the names of the Leatherhead men who have fallen in the war. On the wings will be written the names of those who are or have been serving, with space for additional names.
It is computed that the present time that there are approaching 1,000 Leatherhead men serving in the Forces.
From the January 1922 Parish magazine
RECEPTION OF THE WAR SHRINE INTO THE PARISH CHURCH AND DEDICATION OF THE FLAG.
The War-Shrine, an oak triptyck bearing on the centre panel a cross underneath the arms of which are recorded the names of the Letherhead men who gave their lives in the Great War, and on the side panels the names of all who served in it, was placed in North Street in 1916 by the following ladies: Miss Atkins, Miss A. Brown, Mrs. Finké, Miss O. Finké, Mrs. Leach, Miss M. E. Leach, Mrs. Still, Miss M. Still and Miss G. Wanklyn, These ladies also undertook the care of it and the keeping of the records up to date, Miss G. Wanklyn acting as Secretary. It was dedicated by the Bishop of Winchester on March 21st, 1917.
After the dedication of the permanent War Memorial on April 3rd, 1921, the Shrine was removed and renovated. By the desire of the donors, and with the consent of all the various authorities concerned it was placed in the Parish Church, and a flag to surmount it was given by the same ladies, Mrs. Clark-Kennedy taking the place of her mother Mrs. Finké.
As the Shrine is a record and memorial which concerns all the people of Letherhead of all shades of religious opinion, the Vicar decided to hold a Special “United” Service for its formal reception, and for the dedication of the Flag on the afternoon of Sunday, Dec. 4th, The Urban District Council was present officially en masse at the service, which began with the hymn “Soldiers who are Christ’s below” sung in procession, the Choir headed by the Cross being followed by the Headmaster of St. John’s School, the Principal of the Royal School for the Blind, the Rev. H. E Sumner (Congregational), the Rev. H. M. Brook (Wesleyan) and the Vicar. After the hymn came the Lesson, Wisdom III. 1—6, read by the Rev. H. E. Sumner: Psalm 23: and an Address by the Rev. H. M. Brook on freedom and peace as the objects for which we engaged in the war. The hymn “O valiant hearts” was then sung, during which the Vicar proceeded to the Altar followed by Miss O. Finke bearing the Flag and Lt.-Col. Gillet. The hymn being ended Miss Finké delivered the Flag to the Vicar with the following words,
We, members of the War Shrine Committee, desire you as Vicar of this Parish, to accept this Flag, and to dedicate it to the glory of God and as an adjunct to the Shrine now placed in this Church in memory of the men of Letherhead who served in the Great War.”
The Vicar, having received the Flag, laid it upon the Altar and dedicated it,saying
“May Almighty God, in Whose cause our men fought on behalf of freedom and righteousness vouchsafe through our ministry to accept and bless this Flag for the sake of our Lord Jesus Christ.”
"Let us pray.
Grant O Lord that those who, at Thy call, followed the flag of their country in the cause of justice and freedom, and whom Thou brought back in safety to their homes, may ever be so ranged under the banner of Christ that when all the conflicts of earth shall cease they may attain the peace of Thine everlasting kingdom, through the same, Thy Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.”
The Vicar then delivered the Flag to Col. Gillett, who unfurled it; and the Choir headed by the Cross-bearer, and followed by the Clergy and Lt.-Col. Gillet bearing the Flag proceeded to the Font, where the Shrine had been placed on the Western Wall of the North Aisle. Mr. A. H. Morris, who had undertaken all the details of arrangement, received the Flag from Col. Gillett and placed it on the socket above the Shrine, and places near the Shrine had been reserved for the Clergy and Choir, the Ladies’ Committee, the Urban District Council, and representatives of the Letherhead Troop of Scouts.
Miss A. Brown then addressed the Vicar as follows:
We, members of the Committee, desire you to receive this Shrine, already dedicated to the glory of God by the Bishop of the diocese, within the walls of the Church of the Parish: and to maintain it with the Flag which surmounts it in memory of the men of Letherhead who served in the Great War.”
The Vicar replied :
“We accept the charge which you have this day placed in our hands, and it shall be our endeavour duly to preserve it. May the Almighty God from Whom proceeds all grace and blessing vouchsafe through our ministry to accept and bless this Memorial for the sake of our Lord Jesus Christ.”
Lord have mercy upon us.
Christ have mercy upon us.
Lord have mercy upon us.
"Let us pray.
We give Thee thanks O Father Almighty for all these thy servants who waxed valiant in fight and wrought righteousness, counting not their lives dear unto themselves; and we pray Thee that, this life ended, having fought a good fight and finished their course with joy, they may rejoice evermore with them that having come out of the great tribulation, and having washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb stand before Thy throne and serve Thee day and night for ever, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.”
"O Almighty God, the Father of the spirits of all flesh, by Whom all souls do live, Whose blessed Son Jesus Christ hath by His death destroyed death, and by His rising to life again restored to us everlasting life: we thank Thee for all those who have given their lives in the War, we commend their souls to Thy all-merciful keeping, and beseech Thee to grant that we with them may have our perfect consummation and bliss in the light of the peace of Thy kingdom where the sun of Thy countenance shineth forever, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.”
"Comfort, O Lord, we pray Thee, all who mourn the loss of those near and dear to them: be with them in their sorrow: support them with the knowledge of Thy love; and teach them to rest and lean on Thee. Give them faith to look beyond the troubles of this present time, and to know that neither death nor life can separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord, to Whom with the Father and the Holy Ghost be all honour and glory, now and for ever. Amen.”
“Most merciful Father, grant unto those whom Thou hast brought back in safety from the War, and to all of us who with them are still in our pilgrimage and walk as yet by faith, that having served Thee with constancy on earth we may be joined hereafter with Thy blessed “Saints in glory everlasting, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.”
The Choir and Clergy then returned to their stalls singing the hymn, “For all the Saints.”
The Vicar said the Collect for All Saints’ Day and concluded the Service with the Blessing.
page last updated 26 Dec 20: 24 Feb 21: 8 Nov 21