LEATHERHEAD WAR MEMORIALS
ALL SAINTS' CHURCH LEATHERHEAD
The Church Lads Brigade
Dorking and Leatherhead Advertiser
Saturday, 12 April 1913
CLB and ICSP
The officers of the Leatherhead Church Lads Brigade and the Incorporated Church Scouts Patrol have for a long time felt that these two institutions, which are doing an excellent work among the lads of the town, needed their own exclusive headquarters, and it is therefore very satisfactory to be able to announce that it has now become possible to rent a small house in Bridge Street solely for the use of the Brigade and Scouts. One room will be set apart for meetings of officers and NCOs and the classes for instruction, not only in CLP and ICSP work but also in other subjects which will be of advantage to the lads when they grow up.
Facilities will also be given whereby more lads will be able to obtain the instruction required for passing the proficiency examination, which is now essential for promotion to the rank of sergeant. The remaining rooms in the house will be utilised as a social club for the use of the members of the two organisations.
Thanks to the kindness of friends and the work of the members the house has been suitably fitted up, and was opened for the use of the members at the beginning of the month. With the opening of these premises and the beginning of a new syllabus of instruction, the CLP and ICSP will commence a fresh period of usefulness, and thus suitably marked the 21st anniversary of the brigade in Leatherhead.
Dorking and Leatherhead Advertiser, Epsom District Times and County Post
Saturday, November 13, 1915
CADETS AND SCOUTS.
An excellent agency for the welfare of the lads of Leatherhead is the Church Lads' Brigade and Scout movement, which had been carried on so energetically for many years by Capt. Bernard C. Stenning, and the twenty-third anniversary of the formation of the Brigade, which has been celebrated this week, finds the movement as popular and as well supported as ever. It is worth recording that nearly 100 old or present members of the local company are now serving in the Forces or have laid down their lives for their country during the present war, and from the way the old members get quickly promoted in the Army it is clear that, apart from the religious teaching, the drill and discipline taught in the Cadet Corps is of immense value to the lads after they leave the Corps, especially if they join the Army.
The anniversary celebration started on Sunday evening with a church parade at the Parish Church, when a detachment from Dorking and members of the Oxshott B.P. Scouts also attended. There were upwards of ninety on parade, under the command of Capt. B. C. Stenning, and an appropriate sermon was preached by the Rev. A. Downes, headmaster of St. John's School, who pointed out to his congregation the equipment it was necessary to have to be able to fight the fight of Christian warfare properly.
On Wednesday evening Mrs Lindsay Young very kindly entertained the mothers of the present members to tea at East Lodge, and later in the evening the first inspection since the corps had khaki uniform was held at the Drill Hall. The inspecting officer was Surgeon B.H. Pain R.N., who has recently returned from active service in the Dardanelles. He was accompanied by the Vicar (Rev. T. F. Hobson), who is chaplain of the corps, and there was a large attendance of the public to witness the proceedings. Dr. Pain was received with the general salute, and after he had made a close inspection of those on parade various drills and physical movements were carried out by the lads, under orders from Capt. B. C. Stenning and Lieut. C. B. Young, the work being of a very high standard and eliciting general commendation.
The Vicar said he would like to tell the Cadets and the Scouts what a pleasure it was to him to meet them year after year and see the improvement which they made in their drill. Every year there was more and more smartness in their drill, and he thought the Cadets could hold their own for drill with any company of cadets he had seen (applause). He could only hope that they would carry the same smartness which they showed in their drill into their moral life (applause).
Dr. Pain said he would like to thank Capt. Stenning for giving him the opportunity of meeting the Cadets and Scouts once more. He would like to congratulate the Cadets on, appearing in khaki, as he believed that was the first inspection at which they had appeared at their annual inspection in khaki. It certainly added to their smartness on parade, and it also added to their smartness in file ranks. An inspecting officer always examined them from head to foot, and he impressed on them the need of appearing on parade in good boots.
The squad drill by the Cadets was very good, especially so as they had no sergeants. He thought it spoke volumes for the Cadets that none of the sergeants were there that evening, as they had all enlisted (applause). During the time he had been away he had seen about a quarter of a million men but be, had seen no drill whatever. The drill of the soldier at the Front was over, as they had sterner business on hand; but no man could have taken the field unless he had gone through drill such as they had been doing that evening. By drill they learnt discipline and how to obey orders promptly. He congratulated them on their drill that evening, and he was not surprised that the Cadets did so well in the Army. He always went to Mr. Stenning when he wanted a boy, and he always found him a good boy. Of the boys Mr. Stenning had sent him one had been wounded in France and the other was in the North Sea (applause).
Mr A.T. Maw proposed a vote of thanks to Dr. Pain, for whom hearty cheers were given by the Cadets and Scouts.
ROLL OF SACRIFICE
CHURCH LADS BRIGADE CADETS
Bernard Clement Stenning
Lewis Arthur Bates
William Albert Bussey
Arthur Albert Fillery
Ernest Henry Friday
George Thomas Hope
Edward George Ireland
Joseph James Lewis
Lewis Wood Long
James Victor Miller
Lyall Marcus Neale
George Henry Port
Leonard Sidney Skilton
Absalom Henry Harvey Summerfield
Herbert John Whiten
Frederick George Worsfold
Edward George Murton
Robert Henry Stickland
George Albert Abell
The Tryptich, on the history wall of BFree, formerly All Saints, Leatherhead, December 2012.
The dates and words Roll of Sacrifice are no longer showing: source Haslam
THE CHURCH LADS BRIGADE
According to the National Archive, the Church Lads Brigade was founded in 1891. It became the first scout group incorporated in the world in 1909. Between 1911 and 1930 it was the largest force of cadets in the country. More Victoria Crosses were awarded to former members of the Church Lads Brigade than were awarded to former members of any other youth organisation.
page last updated 19 May 15: 2 Sep 20